Ferris Wheels & Merry-go-Rounds
“Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.”
- Philippians 4:6,7
“Casting down imaginations & every lofty thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, we bring all thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ.”
- 2 Corinthians 10:5
To apply to your thought life, shift from Merry-go-round to Ferry Wheel Thinking:
Stop allowing thoughts to go around in circles inside your brain like a merry-go-round.
- Instead, picture yourself on a platform halfway up the side of a Ferris wheel that is running vertically downward before you.
- Place your thoughts into the cars that are moving down & away from you. As you do this, you apply Step 1 in an act of faith & adoration.
- While the thought is at the bottom of the Ferris wheel, you apply Step 2 as an acknowledgement of God’s greatness to handle the thought & whatever need it represents.
- As your thought begins to rise on the far side of the Ferris wheel, you apply Step 3 by picturing the thought going into the presence of Jesus Christ and God our Father.
- As thoughts come back to you, resist downloading them back on the merry-go-round. Keep them on the Ferris Wheel & look for God’s answer & will to whatever the idea is.
- Don’t quit praying until you have His peace and answer to your prayer.
The secret is to G.A.B. with God about every thought that runs through your mind.
Step 1: God, You are Greater than Everything! - Psalm 145:3 &16
Step 2: God, You are Able to intervene in Anything! - Ephesians 3:20, 21
Step 3: God, You know Best and I want Your will to be done! - Luke 22:42
View troublesome thoughts as dark clouds that block the Sun:
- You know the Sun is still there & greater than the clouds
- As such, the Son of God is always there & greater than all else
Cast every thought down before His majesty & bring it in submission to His wisdom, sovereignty & will to be done! Be obedient to His Word & promptings of the Holy Spirit.
Practice this for a week & see what difference it makes in your thought life & experience of God’s peace & answers to your prayer.
Remember, Jesus taught, “We ought to pray always and not faint.” - Luke 18:1