Prayers to pray during COVID-19 Pandemic
Our God is awesome & has given us promises & prayers to bring our needs to Him!
God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. - Psalm 46:1
Trust in Him at all times, O people; Pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us. - Psalm 62:8
For You, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive, and abundant in lovingkindness to all who call upon You. - Psalm 86:5
With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, be on the alert with all perseverance and petition for all the saints. - Ephesians 6:18
Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results. - James 5:16
Please earnestly pray for the 20 items listed below on a daily basis:
1. For a timely cure and vaccine to prevent the corona virus. For the sick and infected to be healed and helped. For God to sustain bodies and spirits and contain the spread of infection.
2. For our vulnerable populations: God, protect our elderly and those suffering from chronic disease. Provide for the poor, especially the uninsured.
3. For the young and the strong: God, give them the necessary caution to keep them from unwittingly spreading this disease. Inspire them to help.
4. For our local, state, and federal governments: God, help our elected officials as they allocate the necessary resources for combatting this pandemic. Help them to provide more tests.
5. For our scientific community, leading the charge to understand the disease and communicate its gravity: God, give them knowledge, wisdom, and a persuasive voice of accurate information.
6. For the media, committed to providing up-to-date information: God, help them to communicate with appropriate seriousness in a calm and helpful manner.
7. For consumers of media, looking to be well-informed: God, help us find the most helpful local information to equip us to be good neighbors. May the Holy Spirit prompt to pray and meditate on His promises. Keep us in His peace and empower us to implement the recommended strategies, even at a cost to ourselves.
8. For those with mental health challenges who feel isolated, anxious, and helpless: God, provide them every necessary support.
9. For the homeless, unable to practice the protocols of social distancing in the shelter system: Protect them from disease and provide isolation shelters in every city. Also provide safe long-term housing for all.
10. For international travelers stuck in foreign countries: God, help them return home safely and quickly.
11. For Christian missionaries throughout the world, especially in areas with high rates of infection: God, protect them and provide them with words of hope, and equip them to love and serve those around them.
12. For workers in a variety of industries facing layoffs and financial hardship: God, give them peace, faith and hope to persevere and inspire your church to generously support them.
13. For families with young children at home for the foreseeable future: God, help mothers and fathers to partner together creatively for the care and flourishing of their children. For single mothers and fathers, grow their networks of support.
14. For parents who cannot stay home from work but must find care for their children: God, provide them with creative solutions with safe, caring people.
15. For those in need of regular therapies and treatments that must now be postponed: God, help them to stay patient and positive. Also, give them abundant grace to stay strong until their needs are met.
16. For business leaders making difficult decisions that affect the lives of their employees: God, give these women and men wisdom abundance and generosity to lead and model self-sacrificially.
17. For pastors and church leaders faced with the challenges of social distancing: God, help them to creatively imagine and exercise faith to pastor their congregants and love their cities well.
18. For college and university students, whose courses of study are changing and whose graduation is uncertain: God, reveal Yourself and draw them. Give them hope to trust you and find you faithful!
19. For Christians in every neighborhood, community, and city: May your Holy Spirit inspire us to pray, to give, to love, to serve, and to proclaim the gospel, that the name of Jesus Christ might be glorified around the world.
20. For front line health care workers, we thank you for their vocational call to serve us. We also pray:
- God, keep them safe and healthy. Keep their families safe and healthy.
- God, help them to be knowledgeable about the diagnosis and treatment of this disease, as well as the changing protocols.
- God, help them to stay clear-minded in the midst of the surrounding panic.
- God, deliver them from anxiety for their own loved ones (aging parents, children, spouses, roommates).
- God, give them compassion for every patient in their care.
- God, provide for them financially, especially if they fall ill and are unable to work.
- God, help Christians in health care to exhibit extraordinary peace, so that that many would ask about the reason for their hope. Give them opportunities to proclaim the gospel.
God, we trust that you are good and do good. Teach us to be your faithful people in this time of global crisis. Help us to follow in the footsteps of our faithful shepherd, Jesus, who laid down his life for the sake of love. Glorify his name as you equip us with everything needed for doing your will. Amen.
Adapted from “20 Prayers to Pray During This Pandemic” by Jen Pollock Michel